[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Sim Sporthorses International • View topic - So I've been thinking...

So I've been thinking...

Go ahead and chat about anything here :)

So I've been thinking...

Postby Aeolus » 23rd March, 2016, 3:14 pm

I've made and used partially randomized show results in game before, and I was thinking I could make one here for the SSI. Perhaps for a special show type?

How It Might Work
x. Horses would be randomly assigned traits (these would be rather basic, but would probably be similar to the traits scored in the performance tests ie jumping, walk, trot, canter, cross country jumping, etc. etc.).
x. These traits would get a +/- change based on their scored inspection (and performance test) scores.
x. Each event would be ~50% (?) random score and ~50% (?) their "book score".

This special scoring system would not be used for the general shows hosted here (those would stay random) but perhaps we could put together one or two show series that run throughout the year?

What does everyone think? Input/ideas? Your thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

Standing two five star stallions: Iron River***** and Birmingham*****
Foals, started horses and active competitors available for sale or lease.
Aeolus
Site Admin

Re: So I've been thinking...

Postby May » 23rd March, 2016, 3:27 pm

I would love it - but would there maybe be a way to influence the traits a little without a performance test as far as characters/descriptions go? A German simmer is working on something like that right now (and has been for a while) and I think for her competitions you have to register our horses and assign them certain traits (like calmness - too calm isn't good but too nervous isn't good either, movement, etc.) and to prevent people from creating perfect horses you only have a certain number of points you can distribute (but you don't have to use all of them).

In my eyes such a competition would not be for the masses anyway so I wouldn't mind if there was a more or less time consuming registering process for competing horses.
May

Postby Aeolus » 23rd March, 2016, 8:49 pm

It would only be for horses that are already SSI registered (so they have had at least a foal evaluation here or at another non-randomized place). If something, say temperament, was not addressed in their profile then it would stay at its random number. The owners would not know what the random number was. If however the owner put something on the page about how temperament was wonderful (or maybe if I saw upon inspection that both parents had good temperament scores) then that could be a +.

I like the idea of having only a certain number of "points" to add. What if we did something like

edited: I think we'll leave it a bit simpler for now, letting the inspection scores kind of dictate where the + and -s are at. I played around with this a bit last night and it seems to be giving a slight advantage to higher scoring horses, while still allowing slightly lower scoring horses a chance of placing well or even winning a class if their randomized score is high enough.

I will start to play around with the numbers a bit so we can figure out how many traits we would need to keep it interesting but to keep it simple enough for people to participate.

Aeolus
Site Admin

Postby Aeolus » 24th March, 2016, 3:01 pm

Well I have a script done. I still need to code displaying results on horse's pages, etc. but that should only take a few minutes and I have more pressing matters.

What might we want to call these shows? "Official Shows" ??

Aeolus
Site Admin

Postby Aeolus » 24th March, 2016, 3:05 pm

Oh, and is anyone passionate about scores, like having realistic Dressage scores or Eventing scores? I could code them in, but I know most players have websites not really set up to display them in any meaningful way. If anyone feels really strongly about how having them would change the SSI forever or something I can put them in there.

Speak up! Give me your ideas :D :D

Aeolus
Site Admin

Postby May » 24th March, 2016, 7:31 pm

I am very passionate about scores :D
May

Postby Aeolus » 25th March, 2016, 12:09 am

I will do the Dressage scores, will look into Jumpers and I will do the Eventing scores (as a final score only).

Aeolus
Site Admin

Postby Silence » 25th March, 2016, 12:47 am

I love scores. I have space for them in my results database, they're not currently displayed because no one does them though.
Silence

Return to General Chatter